Popular Posts

Friday 13 January 2017

'OKRIKA' vs NEW: does it change your personality?

Hello to you amazing Reader,This is my first post this year so I would like to welcome you by saying happy new year, and wish you the best of 2017.


I was skeptical about writing this post but on a serious note it is simply about the 'label' lifestyle especially with our clothing which was triggered from a conversation among some friends .Looking good they say is good business so lets relax in this business with the issue of 'tear label' and 'ok, okrika, or tokunbo as it is popularly known as.






Growing up I had the best of everything NEW and practically have the mindset that wearing 'OK' was not healthy for the skin for some reason I do/did not even understand. I remember a time a relative sighted something nice and thought it will be great on me, thank God I was there if not it will have been a waste of money as I refused and my mum said to the person 'her father must not see you give this to her o, even the girl would not wear it either'. On the other hand when I got more matured more so with my entry into uni, I saw a lot of ladies who wore these kind of clothes and some of them even took as business and I honestly was surprised because many of these girls were apparently financially alright and were the big boys and girls on some level. Even more surprising I had an aunt who sold new things but would not get her eyes off 'tokunbo', I still wonder why. One particular day I got angry when I saw a similar one of my new clothes in someone's bail and then it occurred to me, really if myself and this person wore this cloth who will know the difference of which is new or OK. Amazingly people get to see even new things and some expensive outfits from there(finding diamond in the rough?). I also thought to myself; imagine someone walked to a charity shop on the high street to get an outfit of interest, its certainly in that category too just more packaged even if your siblings pass down clothes and items to you regardless of the designer..



The truth of the matter is a lot of people have preferences. From what I observed, many people wear OK, of whom few can still afford to buy new things because it is believed that you get to see quality and nice stuff from them which comes in grades, many people also wear new things because they love it and it is 'ON THE RACK' with intact label. This is not limited to clothes but even household and daily use items because if you buy a car without 'nylon' its tokunbo ; if you move into a building not newly built but also occupied by a previous tenant- its 'OK' even when you kitchen equipment imported with TOKUNBO cars what is that also called?



Either categories, its best to please one self. Cut your envelop to match your pocket. It is choice(s) that make individuals shop for new and fairly used. I have shared my opinion on this, practically speaking I can be a label-holic but I would like to hear yours, does wearing new or OK products make any difference?

Thanks for reading. Please share or drop a comment. Once again happy new year.

IMAGE CREDIT:  google

No comments: