Popular Posts

Thursday 16 March 2017

THAT JOURNEY I MADE IN LAGOS-2


......She moved closer smiling at me in her black on black uniform and the man who used his nasty smile to charm me continued using that device to get other culprits like me into the "animals den". One of the senior officers said "madam do you know your offence?" I was taken aback, "offence ke?" Cant you see I am stressed already, I said to him; at that point he pointed across and said "you did not use the pedestrian bridge". I was lost with my mouth wide open, "but I did not see it, but this officer urged me to come over".....so many BUTs fell on their deaf ears. The only woman there then decided to play her part telling me how I see the other people there too and they will soon "sort them". She threatened me with calling the Van to come take us to the station which will attract more charges. I honestly laughed and wondered "did I just become a prey?"

I was confident because I know I know people especially If I have to use my mum's influence as an "omo mummy" (mummy's child). I remembered mum was down,dear Lord will I have to disturb her now,unfortunately for me all my dials did not connect then I knew there was trouble. They requested for #30,000 naira else it will become a station matter but I stood my ground on not having any money. After delaying me for such a while ,I even gave them my bag to search of course as an IJEBU GIRL I already tucked my physical cash and ATM where eyes could not see except for loose change as I will call it.All the while I kept trying to call my closest contacts but to no avail so I stopped and hoped I d carry this cross safely. They waited for all the culprits to bribe them and left before facing me squarely, at last I was freed but on this note the six matured men and woman were now begging to drop something after I told them I am new in Lagos and did not see the sign let alone the bridge and for a fact that i was deceived I had every reason to fight for my right.

Many months later, a similar thing happened in the evening but to my amazement I noticed every person passing crossed over to the other side of the road freely with some of these officials being present. It pained me as a lot of things crossed my mind. While aching, I was analyzing a lot too. Many questions of WHYs. I knew for one I had being  thoroughly accessed before taking me to the road shed I will once again call their den. Thank Goodness I did not spare more than 500 naira for all to share.

The rate at which officials extort and take advantage of citizens is quite alarming and getting more rampant as well as nonchalant. Drivers do not use seat belts until they see officials and to make it worse some of their so called seat belts are disguised as 'ropes' and yet they go scoot free simply because they still feel the need to be lawless forgetting that decency starts from your attitude to life not just in what you wear.  Why then did these officials "cheat" people when they know they would not exercise their duties diligently.

We know the beautiful ones may not be born but we can be a re-birth before their birth. If you stay in LAGOS and you do not " shine your eyes" , other people will help you shine it for bad either as an "agberu" (tout) or a uniformed para-military person.



THANK YOU FOR READING!!!

No comments: